Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Food food food.. Meal time! XD

Ha! Hello, my friends!

This is the first time for me to write something in this blog. It's so nice to read your posts, so interesting! Now it's my turn to share something.. Hmm, let me think for a moment.

_______________________ (o' . 'o) ________________________

I'm at Internet cafe near my boarding house. It's raining quite heavily now, and the weather is colder, of course. I see the raindrops falling, and I hear its sound, hitting the roof. I also hear songs played in the computer. But there's something attracting me outside. 

There's such sound, not far from here,

"Knock knock knock.."

"Bakso.. Bakso.." He yelled.


Ow! The "meatball man" is outside!
Hmm, it'll be so nice to eat meatball at this time.. LOL


That's inspiring me to discuss something here. Yes, I want to discuss about food! =D

As all of you know, Indonesia is rich of traditional food. But my favourite one is special. It's not an ordinary traditional food, even I'm sure that most of you won't think it's edible. LOL

It's called "ENTUNG" 

Does anybody know this food? =D


WHAT IS THAT?

ENTUNG is the caterpillar of JATI TREE (Tectona Sp.)

It's only 1 - 2 Cm's length. It colours dark brown or black. What is eaten is actually the chrysalis of the caterpillar. When it's still in form of caterpillar, it'll eat leaves. When the time of metamorphosis (from caterpillar to chrysalis) comes, this entung will go down from the tree. It goes down by its saliva, formed like a long thread. Just like Spiderman do, guys. LOL


HOW DO PEOPLE GET ENTUNG?

Entung can be obtained easily in rain season. It usually hides under the fallen jati leaves. So if you're looking for entung, just simply search it under the fallen leaves. (I'm sure it needs extra patience to collect much of them LOL)

I get entung from my grandmother. She lives in Jatirogo, a small town in Tuban, East Java. Jatirogo is surrounded by JATI FOREST. That's why it's not difficult to find entung there. =D
My grandma buy entung from people who live near the forest.

What surprising me is, it's not cheap! It costs Rp45,000 - Rp50,000 /kilogram. It has the same price with meat. LOL. But it's worth with the protein contained in entung. Yes, entung is one of rich-protein foods!


HOW DOES IT TASTE?

It tastes great! delicious! I don't know the English word, but in Indonesian I call it tasted "GURIH".

Usually it's cooked with garlic, some chili, and salt; stir fried. It's so simple to cook it, and the taste is great. =D~


MY FIRST IMPRESSION?

I don't know what's that. My mom just offered it to me. Then I tried it, and I got addicted with it. LOL.

_______________________ (o' . 'o) ________________________



So, what Indonesian food do you like most? Do you have such a 'eating weird food' experience? Share it here! (^.^)/"/


19 comments:

  1. OMG!
    I feel hungry after reading this one D:
    I BLAME YOU!

    uhmm i've known so many kinds of Indonesian food, but I forgot their names xP~

    and since I studied here, I've never eat something new (or stomachache will hit me good -_-")...

    say, do anyone know where I can find some traditional food here? :D
    I'm bored with my "ordinary" food :<

    †Harry†

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm . . . I want to try this entung :)

    I don't know what I am going to do when I go back to America. I love Indonesian food. I will have to find an international store that sells tempe and ketchup manis. I also hope to find a good Indonesian restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I got an uncle who's addicted to "Bebek Goreng" (fried duck) from my hometown, Mojokerto :P

    it's not a "Luxurious" food tho because we can buy them at a small restaurant (or "Warung" I should say :P)

    the taste is just great! and the spices just fit!

    @ Miss Rachel : have you try "Sambal" or "Tempe Penyet"? They're delicious if you like hot and spicy foods :D

    †Harry†

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha..
    I'm Indonesian but i don't know the food name "entung".. Is that really a caterpillar?
    eUw,, is that really have great taste, mar?
    I think i never have such a 'eating weird food',, but my mother have told me that there is a food named "Bothok tawon" (tawon is a bee, but i can't describe bothok.. hahaha..)
    I don't know if this "Bothok tawon" really made from bee.. I hope not.. hahaha.. >.<
    Wanna try some? Go to the Blimbing market(pasar blimbing^^)..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello miss rachel and all my friend, let me join this forum..he6..Bothok is a food, which consist of some vegetable..bothok is taste delicious, but don't eaqt many it can make your gas from your buttoks smell bad..he6
    miss rachel i recomended uyou to try crispy ell mixed with eggplant and "sambal", the taste is very delicious. if you want buy it u can find it in north borobudur park street near the river. the seller name is "BU SAID" hehe6
    sendy XIIa6/07

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahahaha..
    Entung.. Funny name.. But weird..
    I'll try that entung because i like every extraordinary food...!
    umm, someone hv told me about "Sate Siput" (BARNACLE SATAI?) from my classmate Reinaldo (Ruteng)... I think it's a weird one, but he said that this food's really delicious...
    Does anyone know where i can found this kind of food??

    Edycakra XII IPA5/ 9

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sendy : well, Bothok is delicious...
    but after eating too much, I felt bad and now I hate that, even just the smell :<
    Dunno why, I missed Bothok :<
    For sambal, yeah I agree that Bu Said is the best here :)

    @ Lina : is that almost the same as "Normal" Bothok? o.O

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha..
    i think xO,, i'vE asked iVone.. bOthok taWon is reaLLy made frOM bees!! haha.. sHocking!!
    xO try sOme if yOu dare.. iVone said that this bOthok is sweet because of the bees.. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh I doubted the "bee" flavour -_-"
    should we eat those bees raw?
    or not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. my mother often buy "bothok tawon" at lawang, but i've never tasted it

    @all
    is there fans of tv show "wisata kuliner" here? :P

    @Miss Rachel
    what do you think about "rujak cingur"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lordkyuubi,
    who are you??
    Yep, I am a big fan of "wisata kuliner"..

    =Edycakra XII IPA 5 /9=

    ReplyDelete
  12. caterpillar...
    i really want to try thatt.. =D

    im always interested in trying some exotic foods... like that one.. caterpillar..

    @harry
    so.. you want some "unordinary" or "extraordinary" foods?

    come with me.. i will show you some extraordinary foods in malang..

    hv u tried dog meat?
    haha...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Milun :
    yeah I've tried that...
    Rica-rica right?
    I can buy it on the ground floor of my boarding house (Bunaken Restaurant) :D

    @ Adrianus & Eca :
    I love that one, and yet I missed that one, I never watch any TV shows in my boarding house :<

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried both sambal and tempe penyet, but I have to be careful when I eat spicy foods. If I eat too much, I don't feel very good.

    I do like rujak cingur, but I always order it "tanpa cingur." I have never had cow lips and I am a little afraid to try it. Do you think I should be brave and try it anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Miss Rachel :
    yeah, you should try that one :D
    I've tried that and now I love that one ;)
    and yeah, sambal can cause stomachache if you ate it too much, plus if it's so hot...

    and have you tried the "Rica-Rica"?
    dog meat, actually xD..

    ReplyDelete
  16. @harry
    so, u've tried rica-rica..
    hmm...
    other foods?
    horse meat satay? =D

    talking about exotic foods always make me remember when i was in malaysia..
    there in malaysia, i tried some exotic foods.. and i think the good one is Fried-Cricket.. rofl..xD
    want to try some? =P but i dont know where to get that in malang..

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Milun :
    I'm interested on those, and rabbit-meat too xD...
    and I missed "Roti Canai", I've been in Malaysia, but couldn't get that one :(
    and, Fried-Cricket is quite unusual, I think there's no one sells that here...

    ReplyDelete
  18. rabbit-meat?
    go get some in batu..

    want me to accompany you? xD

    ReplyDelete