Once I walked back home from school, the road was so crowded with students, of course. My eyes caught something on the edge of the road. There was an old defect man, sitting on the road, and begged for someone's little help. His shirt was torn everywhere, it wasn't a shirt anymore for me. I was quite sure that the man hadn't eaten anything yet.
What caught my attention was no one helped him, or gave him some food, drink, money, or anything that could helped him. It was very ironic with some students who passed him by drinking or eating something.
This moment has been something that we used to see in our daily life. I just want to focus on young people who are mostly lack of social awareness. We, as young people, tend to care about ourselves, but not think about people surround us, mostly those who are marginalized.
We have to be aware that having social awareness is important. One of us here, I'm sure, will be the next leader of Indonesia, who'll be the policies maker.
And also, if we don't have social awareness, who will be on those marginalized people side? How will their life become? Those people also have the same rights with us, but they aren't treated equally.
So, the main problem is how to arouse social awareness in Indonesian youth's selves.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Martina,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very provocative post.
Everyone please respond. I want to know what you think.
Haii.... Okei i want to give my coment 'bout ur posting. I think this is a very interesting post and I think what you said was right. We need to have social awareness. But in other side, I think I know why the students don't give him a little attention. Because we lived in Indonesia where so many people too lazy to work and juz rely on to other people. U know that beggar in Indonesia is really "creative". They can show that they juz an unlucky person with so many trouble in their life, but the fact, the money which they get each day much more than a laborer. Do you think that's fair ? And maybe that's why we can't easy trust them.
ReplyDeleteI think that's all my comment. Nice topic ^^
Erwiani